How Much Does a Water Softener System Cost?
Water softener serves a great need to reduce the water hardness level and to use in everyday need. One might say that water softeners are good for drinking or bathing water only, but there is more to the story.
Once you start using hard water for everyday needs by ignoring all the problems, then you will find corrosion in the washing machine, faucet, and a lot more. In the short run, hard water doesn’t seem like a big hurdle, but it can cause a lot more damage than the cost of buying and installing a water softener.
Yes! You heard it right. A common water softener lasts around a decade with adequate maintenance. In the given period, you would be spending lots of money on appliances, plumbing, and other parts because of hard water. If you fix hard water in the first place, you are not going to deal with any of these issues.
The cost of installing a water softener can go as low as $500 and as high as $3,000. There are plenty of variables to affect the cost of installing a water softener.
Cost of Water Softener Installation in Ontario
Ontario water softener installation cost varies depending on the factors listed above. On average, the cost of a water softener unit ranges from $500 to $3,000. The cost of installation can range from $100 to $1,000 or more, depending on the complexity of the installation and the location of your home.
It’s important to note that the cost of water softener installation should be viewed as an investment in your home. Over time, a water softener can help you save money on appliances, clothing, and other household items that are affected by hard water. It can also improve the taste and quality of your drinking water and reduce the amount of soap and detergent you need to use.
Factors Affecting the Cost Of Water Softeners in Ontario
Type of Water Softener
The first factor which might influence the cost is the type of water softener. There are plenty of options available in the market, which include:
- Salt-Based Water Softener: These types of water softeners are common in Ontario and preferred by almost everyone due to their high effectiveness. The only negative point is the cost of the product along with the installation price.
- Salt-Free Water Softener: Coming to salt-free systems, you can consider these only if the water hardness level is pretty low. The effectiveness is not on par with salt-based systems, but these are quite affordable also.
- Dual-Tank Water Softener: Among all the types, Dual-tank water softener takes the lead in the most reliable and most effective working. However, it can cost you a pretty good amount of money for the purchase as well as the installation
- Magnetic Water Softener: The cost of a magnetic water softener is affordable in almost every situation and you can get it installed for affordable pricing also. The issue is similar to a salt-free water softener as you are not getting the type of results that are offered by a salt-based water softener.
Each type has a set of pros and cons that you have to consider while installing. On the other hand, it is all dependent on the water hardness type. Installing the wrong one can affect the quality of water as well as it can make it worse than the regular water supply. It would be a better choice to get the water tested.
Size of Water Softener
The size of the water softener depends on how large your house is, how much water you need, and how many members live in the house. Additionally, the hardness level of water plays a critical role in choosing the perfect size. The size of the water softener is directly proportional to its cost.
So, yeah! The cost of installation can get pretty hefty if you are dealing with water with the highest hardness levels.
If you are not sure how to verify the hardness level, then a plumber can be handy in this job. You can buy products online which measure the hardness level and it can be a cheap alternative to paying a good amount to plumbers in the first place.
Installation of a water softener is easy if you are dealing with lower water hardness levels. There are small water softener units that can be a great DIY project on weekends.
Meanwhile, if you are installing a unit that requires professionalism, then it would be wise to keep your hands away from DIYing the project. In most cases, people end up damaging the water softener and paying a hefty bill to repair it. Damage to the plumbing system can cause more issues and decrease the water quality if it gets contaminated.
Professionals charge $50 to $500 based on the hours spent installing the water softener. It doesn’t seem like a big issue to hire professionals, but you should always choose licensed professionals who know the job and have plenty of experience.
Eventually, the cost depends upon two key things which are – the water softener unit itself and second is installation. However, there are additional things that can increase the cost:
- If you live in a remote place or hard-to-reach place, then plumbers can charge you more for the same. It is a perfect choice to get everything installed by a professional, but you should take this factor into consideration and bargain to get an effective price.
- Secondly, if you are living in an old house then the chances of repairing or replacing the old plumbing.
- Manufacturers offer features in their water softeners like backwash filters, bypass valves, brine tanks, and more. Features can make the cost high and it all depends upon your needs also. If you choose a functioning water softener with no fancy features, then you can save some extra bucks here and there.
These are some of the key factors that might help estimate the cost of buying a water softener. There are a few more things that you can take into consideration.
Effect of Hard Water on Human Health in Ontario
A water softener is essential if you don’t want to deal with below given issues caused by hard water:
- Hard water can dry skin and cause rashes as well as irritation. Skin irritation occurs due to hard water, and most people don’t know about it. Using extra moisturizer to make the skin moist might help, but it is not the right solution.
- Heart disease is a common issue rising around the globe and hard water is also considered a major role player in this disease. Studies show that people who drink hard water have higher chances of heart issues.
- The digestive problem occurs when a person keeps drinking hard water. There are many heavy metals in the hard water that not only cause acid reflux but also cause problems with bowel movement.
- Hair fall is a big issue in countries that are dealing with the hard water issue. Heavy metals present in hard water stick to the scalp and make it dry causing damage to hair roots.
Apart from these problems, there are many more things that you can find about hard water. Kidney stones also occur due to the use of hard water for a long period which can affect everyday life. All of these risks are focused on adults and old age people. If you consider babies, then the risks are tremendously high in terms of brain development as well as overall growth.
If you’re considering installing a water softener in your Ontario home, it’s crucial to have complete research. Make sure that you choose a reputed plumbing service prover or consider opting for a water treatment specialist. Choosing the right person for this job can eliminate all the major issues that one might deal with in the long run.
Specialists can help you determine the right type and size of water softener for your household and provide you with an accurate estimate of the cost of installation. Investing in a water softener can help you save money in the long run and improve the overall quality of your
How much does it cost to install a water softener in Ontario?
The cost of water softener installation in Ontario varies depending on the type and size of the system, as well as the complexity of the installation. On average, homeowners can expect to pay between $1,500 and $2,500 for a basic water softener installation. However, larger or more complex installations can cost upwards of $3,500.
Are there any additional costs associated with water softener installation?
Yes, there may be additional costs associated with water softener installation, such as plumbing modifications, electrical work, or the installation of a brine tank. These additional costs can vary depending on the specific requirements of your installation.
How long does water softener installation typically take?
The duration of water softener installation can vary depending on the complexity of the installation, but most installations can be completed within a day or two.
Do I need a professional to install my water softener?
While it is possible to install a water softener yourself, it is highly recommended that you hire a professional plumber or installer to ensure the system is installed correctly and safely.
Will a water softener reduce my energy costs?
Yes, a water softener can help reduce your energy costs by improving the efficiency of your appliances and reducing mineral buildup in your pipes and plumbing fixtures.
How often does a water softener need to be serviced?
Water softeners typically need to be serviced every one to two years to ensure they are functioning properly and effectively.
Can a water softener improve the quality of my drinking water?
While a water softener can help reduce mineral buildup and improve the taste of your water, it may not remove all contaminants. If you are concerned about the quality of your drinking water, you may want to consider installing a separate water filtration system.
Will a water softener require any ongoing maintenance?
Yes, a water softener will require ongoing maintenance, such as adding salt to the brine tank and periodically cleaning or replacing the resin bed. It's important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for maintenance to ensure the system functions effectively and efficiently.
Can I finance the cost of water softener installation?
Yes, some companies may offer financing options for water softener installation. Be sure to ask about financing options when obtaining quotes from different installation companies.
How do I know if I need a water softener?
If you have hard water, which is characterized by mineral buildup and a soapy residue on your dishes and plumbing fixtures, you may benefit from a water softener. A water test can also help determine if you have hard water and if a water softener is necessary.