5 Reasons Why is Your Furnace Leaking Water
A furnace is one of the most important HVAC units in a home, especially in the northern hemisphere. It keeps us warm and cozy in winter and cool in the sweltering heat of summer. A central heating system is a major part of a house or commercial building. A forced air natural gas distribution system is a common type of furnace nowadays.
The most common problems with furnaces are thermostats not working properly, leaking either in winter or summer, wear and tear making the furnace break down.
A leaking furnace is one of the most common problems with furnaces. It can affect air quality in a home. Poor installation of a furnace can negatively alter the performance of the furnace. If you have regular maintenance done on your furnace you will save money on repairs in the long run. Also if your furnace is working at maximum efficiency, it will save you on your monthly energy bills.
For good furnace maintenance, you need to have a service technician check and make adjustments as needed to your furnace. Fall is usually a good time to do this. Rather than waiting until your furnace breaks down completely, especially in winter, and it is an emergency situation, having a professional furnace technician look at your furnace on a regular basis will be the best option.
The furnace may be leaking water. It could be caused by the heat exchanger. This is one of the most expensive repairs, unfortunately. A technician would have to install a new heat exchanger according to the manufacturer’s specifications. Or the condensation drain pipe running from the furnace to the floor could get clogged or plugged. This would cause the furnace to leak water. If you have a humidifier attached to your furnace it may be leaking and will
They happen for a number of reasons. One reason is poor maintenance. The average cost to repair a furnace is $425.00, however, it can be as high as $3000.00 or more if your furnace needs to be replaced. So prevention is worth the effort.
Reasons for Leaking Furnace
There are a few ways to prevent this furnace leaking from happening:
- A filter that is dirty and clogged is not good – clean and replace the air filter regularly. This will make a big difference. A dirty filter can cause the coil in the furnace to malfunction and leak. The filter should be changed every 60 or 90 days regularly. If you smoke in the home or have pets it can affect the quality of air in your home. This makes changing the filter all the more important. Also is there a lot of construction beside your home or are you doing renovations in your home? This too will affect the air quality and the need for changing the air filter.
- Corrosion is another problem. It can be from dissimilar metals used on the furnace and the ductwork. To keep humidity in the home under control you may want to have a dehumidifier.
- Poor maintenance is a big cause of furnace leaking issues. Even a relatively new furnace has to be maintained, not just old furnaces. Yearly cleaning and regularly scheduled inspection of the furnace by a qualified technician is important.
- Keep your floor and wall vents free of dust as much as possible. Vacuum vents often and make sure there is nothing obstructing the airflow such as carpets over a vent, curtains in the way, furniture obstructing the flow of the vent, etc. You may want to consider having your ducts cleaned yearly.
- The outside exhaust vent may be clogged. It goes from the furnace to the outside of your house and carries the hot gases away from the furnace. Check regularly to make sure this vent is not clogged with debris, etc.
Checking around your furnace, like on the basement floor, once in a while will help you see if furnace leakage starts. Keeping the area around the furnace free from clutter is also important.
It’s Always Better to Prevent the Issue
One efficient and good thing is smart thermostats that you can control from your computer or smartphone. These thermostats learn, remember and adjust to how, when and where you use your system. They can help you to save on your energy consumption by adjusting the temperature only when it knows you need it. Smart thermostats can save energy if they are set up properly.
Furnace reliability is mostly due to a good installation. Most furnace brands are the same. The difference is the company that installs them. That is why choosing a good company is so important. A top-notch company that does excellent servicing will help your furnace last longer.
The furnace in a home is a major investment. By following a few best practices, the homeowner can prevent their furnace from leaking. Having a reputable, good quality heating and air conditioning company to depend on for regular service will make all the difference.
Contact Smile HVAC if you Need Furnace Repair Services
Our support team will gladly answer all of your questions as well as give you an estimate on how much it may cost to fix your equipment. So you will know the approximate amount even before we come to your place.
Smile HVAC technicians are fully licensed and authorized. They all have years of experience and a lot of happy and loyal customers. Call us today at (+1) 437-777-4555 or book your appointment online.